07 March 2006

Frustrating day!

I'm just about at my wit's end. I provide childcare for a living and have just recently thought about getting out of it. Right now I've been stiffed for about $600 last month from two different parents, I've had one decide she is going from full-time to very part-time, and then I get the people who want me to provide care for them for 2 or 3 days a month and not charge them for the time that I can't provide care for others because of their "flexible" schedule... Arghh! So now I am looking for a job and I'm giving up. These parents just don't get that I'm not doing this because I'm independently wealthy, I do actually have to be paid what little I ask for... One parent actually keeps her child home when she can find someone else to watch her for free. No regard to me or my situation... So now, the job search begins. I really enjoy staying home with my son, but when you are losing money doing it, I just don't think that it is worth it any longer. How very frustrating!

Hopefully, I'll be able to keep you all updated with my progress, as well as my projects, but please remember that I am experiencing an awful lot of stress over this right now... :(

5 comments:

mainely stitching said...

My sister went through this. She ran a licensed daycare out of her home, and constantly had to chase people down for payment, feed dinner to kids whose parents were hours late in picking them up, etc. She was so good at it, and the kids adored her, but the stress was horrible. She also got out of it. I'm really sorry you're going through this. As a parent who really values quality child care, I wish you were here! And as a friend who hates to see you feeling so stressed, I also wish you were here!!

My Life In Stitches said...

That is very frustrating. If they were using a daycare place say like Kindercare vs. an at home daycare, there is no way that they would get away with that. I would say no to them and find others children instead if finding a job doesn't work out. Make parents sign a contract...this is the weekly rate regardless, ie: If they hire you for four days that is what they pay for even if the child/ren only come three one week. OH and about the lateness mention in a previous comment, daycare centers charge by the 15 mins that parents are late, if that is an issue I would include something like that in the contract, too. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

What a bummer - I am constantly amazed at what some people just expect others to do for them - I think people who just expect others to pick up the slack for them are seriously flawed and I've started telling them so - in a nice way of course. If that doesn't work I eliminate them from my life. For the parents who stiffed you I would look into small claims court to see if you might have a chance at getting at least some of your money back. And you might start requiring that you get paid up front ( like rent) and then refund if they don't use all thier time.

mainely stitching said...

Hey Nona, just popping over again to say I'm thinking of you and wishing you well. :-)

Nona said...

Thank you all for your support and kind words! They are much appreciated! I'm still dealing with this, but I'll give it a few more days before I seek the legal route, as I hate to make an enemy in such a small place...